MT's thoughts on all kinds of stuff.


Tuesday 17 January 2012

Convictions.

Drama is something I avoid like the plague, along with cloak and dagger stuff. I prefer things clean, including confrontation, so (as many of you know) if I have an issue with someone that cannot be resolved with discretion, I generally deal with it in an upfront way. No sneaking around just a straightforward declaration of my stance. They are then free to reply to this in an equally upfront manner. I find this easier in real life than online, but I try to maintain the practise online as well.
If I am involved in is something I consider immoral, corrupt, or generally ‘wrong’ in its nature I will speak up, and probably remove myself from it’s realm. It’s usually pretty easy to spot these things from the outset and stay the Hell away, but if something were to dupe me, or change after I joined I am confident I’d do this - again, as many of you who have known me for a while can attest :D
There are currently a great many people with doubts about a particular little group on FL. Many do not like the way good people are being treated. Many dislike the drama. Many dislike the cloak and dagger nature of it’s proceedings. Many dislike the ever changing landscape. Many dislike the way the rules they signed up for have been altered beyond recognition. Some dislike the fact that plagiarism is encouraged (or at least was under one of the many previous sets of rules, I lost track ages ago). Many dislike much of the ethos…. Plenty of people are expressing discontent and discomfort quietly all over the places, often in some extremely strong terms, that I have frankly been surprised by (because to my mind if you feel that strongly why are you still there)?  But they are doing it quietly, probably because they don’t want to upset the apple cart, don’t want to make themselves a target.
While some are leaving, some others are making a point of ‘disassociating’ themselves from the spiteful goings on, corruption, and drama etc, and they are still there. Perhaps they fear social exclusion if they go, perhaps they don’t want to admit they made a mistake, who knows? I suspect many are putting their fingers in their ears and going ‘lalalalala, none of my business’ (a few people are actually writing statements such as ‘I am neutral! I am Switzerland!’ etc).
Well here’s a heads up. If someone treats people like shit, especially good people, people you care for, it’s a good bet that eventually they will do the same to you. And if not you they will do it to your friend over there, and that quiet person in the corner who makes a good target. And if you ignore other people getting messed with, then when it’s your turn you’ll probably find less sympathy than you’d hope. Isn't that obvious?
I admire very much the people who are questioning and defending people they feel have been treated unjustly, or admitting they made a mistake. I think that’s far better, far braver and far more decent behaviour than people who are just closing their eyes and hoping they are not next, or that whatever the shitstorm of the week is will pass. There will be another shitstorm, then another, then another – however public they are or aren’t, that’s simply the nature of the beast. No one has to treat people like shit, no one has to behave like an inconsistent egomaniac dictator, and no one systematically does these things accidentally.
I’m a predator, I admit that - what’s more I’m bloody good at it. If I wanted to pull people's strings behind the scenes and generally play headfucking mind games to bully and control I could do it with my eyes closed. I admit I have manipulated people in my real life in ways that would probably make many people's heads spin. And as such I can spot a power mad manipulator even through a monitor.  As stated earlier though that’s not my style for communications in general, because I think it's crappy to randomly treat everyone you meet that way. I prefer honest upfront communications.
That's one of the many reasons why I have chosen to not respond to many questions and memos, where people are quietly expressing discomfort. I don’t wish to be caught in such drama and intrigue, or be part of this process. People eventually have to work out their own beliefs and live with the consequences. That's Life.
But I would like to say bravo to those who are showing the courage of their convictions, who are speaking up for those being mistreated, and who are not going ‘Lalalalalala’ with their fingers in their ears. The O/p group remains a refuge for most of you. Sanctioning people being treated like shit, all be in via turning a blind eye, is a crappy thing to do, and most good people know that. I am glad the poorly treated have such people in their corner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing necessary for the triumph [of evil] is for good men to do nothing... Edmund Burke

Unknown said...

I'm one of those that's staying on the sidelines with the rare exception of the occasional supporting post on a journal. I don't know the situation and I'm not a part of it either way. *shrugs* I feel like if I start remarking or whatever that I'm pissing on a tree that I have no business even sniffing despite the fact that quite a few of my friends are involved. Would you consider that not standing up for my friends?

MsSparkles said...

No, you're just staying out of it. It's mainly people who joined the group and are going 'lalala everything is splendid' in public but secretly saying they think so and so have been treated badly who I feel sad about.

MsSparkles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.